A valuable resource for hoteliers, EcoGreenHotel.com is dedicated to helping hotels address environmental issues and implement environmentally friendly initiatives.
Earth Hour 2009 is set to switch off the globe. Already 538 cities in 75 countries which is double the number of countries that participated in 2008, are committed. With hundreds more cities expected to sign up to switch off in the coming months, Earth Hour 2009 is setting the platform for an unprecedented global mandate for action on climate change.
"In 2007, Earth Hour was held in one city, Sydney. A year later, the number of cities had skyrocketed to 371. With weeks to go before Earth Hour 2009 we are well over the half-way mark towards our goal of 1,000 cities and towns.
EcoGreenHotel encourages the hospitality industry to participate in Earth Hour 2009, at 8.30pm on Saturday the 28th of March. There are several areas within a hotel or resort that lights and power can be minimized or eliminated for one hour. For more information on Earth Hour and to sign up to be counted as a participating hotel or resort please visit www.earthhour.org.
The hospitality industry can make a huge impact in environmental awareness by implementing green initiatives into their everyday business and Earth Hour is an excellent launch of an ongoing environmentally friendly program for your property.
The following steps should be taken to properly plan for a safe and successful Earth Hour:
• Promote associate involvement by creating a "Green Hotel Team" with a "Green Leader" from your management team and at least one associate from each department.
• The "Green Hotel Team" should meet weekly starting the week of March 2nd 2009 to come up with a list of lights, equipment and machinery that can be powered down for one hour on March 28th without jeopardizing the security or safety of your guests or associates.
• Involve the sales and marketing department to create an event around the night and promote to the local community through reaching out to your top accounts and possibly a press release.
• Earth Hour falls on a Saturday evening which may allow your restaurant to create a promotion around the event to bring in local clientele.
• Properly staff your property the night of the event to insure safety and security.
• Send an email to info@EcoGreenHotel.com about your initiatives for Earth Hour and you will be included on www.EcoGreenHotel.com as well as included in further press releases supporting Earth Hour.
For tips and tools for energy reduction to support Earth Hour visit www.EcoGreenHotel.com.
For more information about EcoGreenHotel or if you want to share your green initiatives with other hoteliers please send an email to info@EcoGreenHotel.com