16 of the UK's most innovated clean technology companies selected for the 2013 Clean and Cool Mission to Colorado
November 15, 2013 - Denver, Colorado: A group of the UK's most promising clean technology companies have been chosen to attend the Clean and Cool Mission to Colorado in December. The sixteen companies, which were unveiled at an official ceremony in London last night, will visit Colorado, the fastest-growing cleantech ecosystem in the U.S, to showcase their innovations and explore business opportunities associated with tackling climate change.
The week-long Clean and Cool Mission to Colorado, organized by the UK's innovation agency, The Technology Strategy Board, together with The Long Run Venture and UK Trade and Investment, will see the sixteen UK cleantech companies learn from key leaders in the field. They will also network with potential investors in Boulder, Denver and Fort Collins as well as participate in the National Renewable Energy Laboratory's (NREL) Industry Growth Forum, the premier clean energy investment event in the U.S.
As the number one U.S market for renewable energy and second best state for entrepreneurship and innovation, the Mission to Colorado will enable participants to learn first-hand how to accelerate their business in the important U.S market.
Among the delegation are companies whose innovations address some of the most pressing climate challenges in the country and worldwide, including increasing transport pollution, improving energy efficiency in residential homes and easing reliance on peak grid supply.
"The U.S has one of the most innovative and dynamic cleantech ecosystems," said David Bott, Director of Innovation Programmes at the Technology Strategy Board. "The Mission will provide the participants with the opportunity to establish partnerships, secure investment and help launch their business to a large, continually expanding and thriving technology market."
Simon Carter, Deputy Director, Head of Renewable Energy at UKTI, explained, "We are delighted to sponsor the Clean and Cool Mission to Colorado and support UK innovation internationally. Colorado is a fast and reliable gateway to the U.S and to global markets and the Mission will allow the firms to learn how to turn their innovations into tangible business opportunities."
Taking place 30th November – 6th December, the sixteen companies will have an opportunity to extend their international operations in sectors ranging from solar and wind, smart grids, energy storage, system integration, to smart buildings and transport.
The following sixteen companies earned their place on the Clean and Cool Mission 2013 by demonstrating the potential of their technologies to the Technology Strategy Board, the UK's innovation agency:
* Agility Global has blended Formula 1 and aerospace design with advanced engineering and electric technology to manufacture the world's first high-performance, clean tech motorcycle. Saietta, is a premium, electric urban sports motorcycle that more than lives up to its name. Strikingly designed, fast and powerful, it is also clean and green.
* Alquist has pioneered an award-winning Data Center temperature management system, targeted to become the new world standard for a $17bn industry segment growing at 28% per annum. Alquist's monitoring system enables Data Center operators to manage risk and reduce energy spend, resulting in reduced carbon emissions.
* Arcola Energy is a developer, manufacturer and retailer of fuel cell-based low carbon energy solutions, converting chemical energy from a fuel, such as hydrogen, into electricity. Ultimately, this makes electricity more accessible and cost-effective for consumers and businesses. Arcola's technology can be used in the home and within the construction, entertainment, education and automotive industries.
* To support the continued roll-out of smart grids throughout the U.S., Each For All Productions has developed the Merismus micro-grid which is plugged into a smart meter to automatically manage grid and microgeneration energy usage to lower energy bills through very little effort.
* Energy created through the roof which could eliminate heating, cooling and hot water bills is the aim of a new product from Flint Engineering which blends a photovoltaic and solar thermal collector in a roofing/cladding material to be used on both new and refitted domestic and commercial buildings.
* The energy output of the sun is about 386 billion megawatts, presenting a free and inexhaustible power source that can be captured and converted into electricity. Fullsun Photovoltaics is doing exactly that by using High Concentrated Photovoltaic (HCPV) technology in a lightweight solar module designed for utility and commercial/industrial rooftop markets.
* Current technology is incapable of realistically meeting future demand for sustainable aviation biofuels. The mission of Green Fuels Research, a new venture building on 10 years' CleanTech heritage, is to develop enabling technologies at every step in the value chain from primary producer to airplane
* In the US, a massive $7.4 billion is spent on cooling datacentres annually. Iceotope supports these applications by providing massive processing power, memory and storage in an integrated computing system cooled with liquid, which saves energy and lowers costs.
* Magnifye superconducting permanent magnets can be used to improve the efficiency of any electrical machine. Ten times stronger than conventional magnets, they are small enough to fit into the palm of the hand and large enough to power a train or a cruise liner. With almost limitless applications, Magnifye could transform the way the world powers electrical machines.
* Moixa Technology plans to put millions of smart batteries into customer premises to reduce peak period demand on the grid and improve the energy efficiency of essential Direct Current (DC) devices such as lights and mobile phones. Use of Moixa's technology helps to significantly reduce bills and improves energy security by enabling the storage of energy at off-peak times.
* PJH Partnership has developed an innovative and domestically applicable solar power storage unit. The system is targeted to address grid-scale storage and balancing needs resulting from the continual growth of electricity generation from domestic houses.
* Renovagen has developed a transportable solar power solution that is capable of generating ten times more power than existing technologies. Designed for temporary or semi-permanent use in remote off-grid locations where self-sufficient power generation is essential.
* Considerable energy savings in both domestic and commercial environments can be realised by using high power heat batteries. Sunamp has developed a Heat Battery that is super-compact but can store heat from conventional and non-conventional heat pumps and boilers, delivering it quickly and with maximum energy efficiency as needed.
* Through innovation and ingenuity Straw Fuels has created a range of eco-friendly fire logs. Made from straw, the logs are clean, easy to use and produce much lower levels of smoke than traditional wood.
* Public vehicles, particularly buses, have a reputation for polluting roads, but a new hybrid-electric system from Vantage Power has been designed to help the bus industry to meet the increasing demands for lower emissions, improve air quality, and cut fuel consumption simultaneously, without the need for investing in new hybrid buses.
* The U.S. has a target of 20% renewable energy by 2020, and this target has been behind the development of a new grid-scale energy storage battery from Wind Power Performance that promises to lower energy storage costs globally.
The Mission is organised by The Long Run Venture and supported by UKTI and private sponsors. More information is available on www.cleanandcoolmission.com
The progress of the sixteen companies can be followed @innovate_uk and @CleanandCool
About Technology Strategy Board
TSB is a business-led UK government body which works to create economic growth by ensuring that the UK is a global leader in innovation. Sponsored by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS), the Technology Strategy Board brings together business, research and the public sector, supporting and accelerating the development of innovative products and services to meet market needs, tackle major societal challenges and help build the future economy. www.innovateuk.org