Trend for smart and more cost-effective components identified from this year’s submissions
Munich, May 21, 2015 - The finalists for the Intersolar AWARD have been chosen with just under a month to go before the start of Intersolar Europe. The prize, which is being presented for the eighth time running, honors innovative solutions in the solar industry. The winners in the two categories of Photovoltaics and Solar Projects in Europe are to be unveiled at Intersolar Europe on June 10. The entries are indicative of current industry trends.
This year marks the eighth anniversary of the Intersolar AWARD. Highly regarded in the industry, the prize serves as an effective marketing tool for the winners' innovative strength. Year after year, the submissions reflect the high speed with which the solar sector is developing state-of-the-art products and services.
The Intersolar AWARD as a barometer of trends
Advances in solar modules are making it increasingly easier for solar energy to be used profitably. On the one hand, innovations in cell technology, cell connection and intelligent solar module junction boxes are contributing to this. On the other hand, production costs are falling and module efficiency is on the rise. Moreover, bifacial modules and modules with colored glass sheets are simplifying the process of integrating solar systems into buildings in an aesthetically pleasing way. A further trend to emerge has been the inclusion of power electronics in PV panels, paving the way for smart solar modules.
Meanwhile, inverters are showing improvements in output, functionality and cost-effectiveness. Component production is becoming more and more standardized, allowing parts to be used worldwide regardless of power grid conditions. New large-scale integrated inverters can be placed in containers as plug-and-play solutions for ground-mounted installations. In addition, inverters now frequently feature a diverse range of grid management and grid support functions. New power electronic components allow high efficiency levels to be achieved at low weights.
Manufacturers are aiming to use their inverters and system solutions to increase on-site consumption through forecast-based energy management, the integration of different storage devices and load control. They have further set their sights on reducing costs by developing innovative substructures that save materials.
The submissions to the Award are also indicative of how suppliers are developing new business models and services. Examples include weather forecasts for operation management and an online project exchange for selling solar projects internationally.
Award ceremony and short presentations by the finalists
The winners in the two categories of Photovoltaics and Solar Projects in Europe are being announced at Intersolar Europe on Wednesday, June 10. Before the ceremony, visitors will have a chance to find out about the nominated products and projects in short presentations given by finalists at the Innovation Exchange (hall B3, booth B3.450) on June 10 between 10:30am and 3:00pm. The finalists will also be on hand to answer any questions about their submissions. The official ceremony begins at 4:30pm and also takes place at the Innovation Exchange. It is to be followed by an AWARD Reception, which is being organized with the support of Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
The following submissions have made it through to the final round in the Photovoltaics category:
- Fraunhofer Center for Silicon Photovoltaics CSP (Germany): New test method for the
manufacture of PID-free solar cells
- HiQ Solar, Inc. (USA): 8 kW 3-phase string inverter with state-of-the-art semiconductor
technology based on silicon carbide
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd (China): Inverter with a European efficiency of 98.3% and a
DC module output of 33.8 kWp
- JinkoSolar Co., Ltd (Germany): PV module in which the diode in the junction box has been
replaced with a power management chip
- LG Electronics Deutschland GmbH (Germany): CELLO technology for lower electrical losses
- Mouli Engineering Inc. (USA): Substructure for gable roofs that does not require fixtures or
- Power Electronics España S.L. (Spain): Large-scale inverter with automatic master/slave
- REC Solar EMEA GmbH (Germany): New multicrystalline cell technology based on the use of half cells
- Renusol GmbH (Germany): New module clamp that can be used as a mid and end clamp - Roof Tech, Inc. (USA): Rail-free mounting system particularly for use with bitumen roofs
The finalists in the Solar Projects in Europe category are:
- IBC SOLAR AG (Germany): Commercial building not connected to the power grid with a solar installation, biogas CHP unit and large-scale storage device
- Ritter Energie- und Umwelttechnik GmbH & Co. KG (Germany): Tube collectors for use in steam generation in the commercial sector
- Robert Bosch GmbH - Stationary Energy Storage (Germany): Modular storage system that can be optimized and adapted according to consumption and available space
- SAMSUNG SDI CO., LTD. (Korea): Large-scale electrical storage system for providing short- term balancing power
- SolarEdge Technologies Inc. (Israel): Solar carports in the grounds of TSG 1899 Hoffenheim's WIRSOL Rhein-Neckar Arena
- SolarEdge Technologies Inc. (Israel): Façade-integrated PV system at TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology)
- solarnova Deutschland GmbH (Germany): Aktiv-Stadthaus (energy-plus apartment
building) in Frankfurt am Main
- STEPS e.U. (Austria): Register for solar façades in the city of Vienna
Entry criteria for the Intersolar AWARD
The Intersolar AWARD is presented by the organizers of Intersolar. Products, projects, services or solutions may be submitted by exhibitors from all international Intersolar and ees exhibitions taking place in 2015. Projects must be fully completed and no older than two years at the time the application for the Intersolar AWARD is submitted. Refinements of products and services previously presented at the exhibition are also accepted.
Intersolar Europe 2015 takes place from June 10-12 at Messe München.
Further information on Intersolar Europe can be found at www.intersolar.de/en
Partners of Intersolar Europe
Intersolar Europe is supported by the leading solar industry associations: the German Solar Industry Association (BSW-Solar) as an exclusive partner, the German Solar Energy Society (DGS), the European Solar Thermal Industry Federation (ESTIF), the International Solar Energy Society (ISES), SEMI (Europe), and the platform for photovoltaic production equipment within the German Engineering Association (VDMA-PV). With the support of the European Photovoltaic Industry Association (EPIA).
With events spanning four continents, Intersolar is the world's leading exhibition series for the solar industry and its partners. It unites people and companies from around the world with the aim of increasing the share of solar power in our energy supply.
Intersolar Europe is the world's leading exhibition for the solar industry and its partners. It takes place annually at the Messe München exhibition center in Munich, Germany.
The event's exhibition and conference both focus on the areas of photovoltaics, PV production technologies, energy storage systems and renewable heating. Since being founded, Intersolar has become the most important industry platform for manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, service providers and partners in the global solar industry.
In 2014, 1,082 international exhibitors and 42,380 trade visitors attended Intersolar Europe. Around 200 speakers and around 1,100 conference attendees discussed current industry topics and shed light on the background of technological, market and political developments.
With over 20 years of experience, Intersolar has the unique ability to bring together members of the solar industry from across the world's most influential markets. Intersolar exhibitions and conferences are held in Munich, San Francisco, Mumbai, Beijing and São Paulo. These global events are complemented by the Intersolar Summits, which take place in emerging and growing markets worldwide.
In 2015, ees Europe, the international exhibition for batteries and energy storage systems takes place for the second time in conjunction with Intersolar Europe. ees Europe is covering the entire value chain of innovative battery and energy storage technologies.
For more information on Intersolar Europe, please visit: www.intersolar.de/en