Incineration V Landfill? With the capacity of generating 26MW of energy and diverting 95% of landfill waste, do the benefits of Viridor's new state of the art £200m energy from waste facility compensate for, what is argued to be, its detrimental impact to the environment?
Following initial planning permission, a protest group legally challenged Sutton council for its decision to allow the plant to be built on a Metropolitan Open Land area in Beddington, which was subsequently rejected by the court of appeal.
An insight into the Beddington Plant by Councillor Jayne McCoy, Chair of the Housing, Economy and Business Committee from Sutton Council, will be given at SMi's 8th annual Energy from Waste conference when it returns to London on 7th and 8th December 2015.
The case study driven presentation will deliver a detailed overview of the planning process, as well as discuss the importance of Viridor's community contribution plan, which includes a Combined Heat and Power (CHP) working group; and a centre to educate visitors on sustainable waste management and local wildlife.
The importance of local community liaison will be also be addressed by North London Waste Authority in a presentation that will provide guidance on innovative ways to engage with the public.
Other government authorities and local councils on the agenda for 2015 include:
• Peter North, Senior Manager, Program Delivery (Sustainable Energy), Greater London Authority
• Councillor Darren Merrill, Cabinet Member for Environment and Public Realm, Southwark Council
• Talieson Maynard, Head of Waste Infrastructure Programmes, Dept. for the Environment, Welsh Government
• Ian Fielding, Assistant Director, Waste and Countryside Services, North Yorkshire County Council
• Johnny Stuen, Technical Director, Waste-to-Energy Agency, City of Oslo
• Mike Tregent, Environment and Business Advisor, Waste & Illegals, Waste Stream Assessment, Environment Agency
For further details and to see a full speaker line-up and event programme, visit the website at http://www.efw-event.com/altenergymag
SMi's 8th Annual Energy From Waste Summit
7th & 8th December 2015
Holiday Inn Regents Park, London UK
About SMI Group:
Established since 1993, the SMi Group is a global event-production company that specializes in Business-to-Business Conferences, Workshops, Masterclasses and online Communities. We create and deliver events in the Defence, Security, Energy, Utilities, Finance and Pharmaceutical industries. We pride ourselves on having access to the world's most forward thinking opinion leaders and visionaries, allowing us to bring our communities together to Learn, Engage, Share and Network. More information can be found at http://www.smi-online.co.uk