New York Tops List of Most Renewable-Friendly Governors' Mansions in the Nation
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- September 19, 2007 - ChooseRenewables' today announced the launch of its Web site at www.ChooseRenewables.com, offering a one-stop destination that helps consumers understand their energy impact and take action to improve it. As global warming continues to generate headlines and energy prices escalate, consumers are increasingly seeking ways to reduce the impact of their energy use and save money. With ChooseRenewables' free MyEnergy Analyst' consumers receive a clear picture of their personal energy impact and can implement a simple plan to reduce it with a MyEnergy Makeover'. The one-of-a-kind MyWatts Renewables Estimator' allows users to simply enter their address and receive a free evaluation of potential solar and wind options they may be eligible to install at their home or business.
"Our mission is to not only educate consumers, but to empower them to take action by connecting them with realistic, easy-to-implement solutions that can dramatically reduce and diversify their energy use," said Michael Ford, founder and president of ChooseRenewables. "We encourage our customers to focus on reducing their energy use by adopting energy efficient technologies and changing their own behavior - and then use a portion of the savings reaped by energy conservation to support a clean and independent energy future through on-site renewable energy generation and other means."
Personalized Energy Tools and Solutions
ChooseRenewables offers three main measurement tools that together offer the most comprehensive way for consumers to reduce their energy impact. They include:
• The MyEnergy Analyst helps consumers calculate the impact of their annual energy use by pooling statistics and data from the U.S. Department of Energy to measure emissions of carbon, mercury, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide and total cost of energy. Once calculated, the MyEnergy Analyst breaks down the energy impact at home, while driving, and while flying and compares the consumer's impact to that of the average individual with a similarly-sized home in their region.
• Users can then create and implement a MyEnergy Makeover to reduce their energy use through conservation, offsets or generation of renewable energy. ChooseRenewables encourages its customers to implement energy saving technology and behavior, and then use a portion of those dollar savings to fund their commitment to renewable energy.
• ChooseRenewables' exclusive MyWatts Renewables Estimator allows users to enter their home or business address and instantly see their on-site wind and solar power potential. The tool provides an estimated payback period for a wind turbine or solar installation based on the magnitude of wind and solar incentives available to them, combined with the average wind speed, solar radiation, state and federal incentives and current electricity cost at that location. An algorithm then examines the viability of an on-site wind or solar power installation, and within seconds provides an intelligent display of the on-site solar and wind power potential coupled with a detailed Google Earth map of the physical location. The tool uses data published by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory to estimate the average wind speed and solar radiation.
The U.S. market for small wind solutions is estimated to continue growing at a 14-25% annual rate , with solar solutions forecasted to grow 27-32% per year . For consumers with a good site for wind or solar energy generation, ChooseRenewables offers a detailed analysis of their options based on local market data and site-specific wind speed data to arm them with the information they need to make a sound renewable energy investment.
If consumers discover they have limited wind and solar options for their home, the ChooseRenewables Online Store also offers a variety of products and services to help homeowners conserve as much energy as possible, including an energy conservation kit that contains compact florescent light bulbs, insulation and gap fillers, low-flow shower heads and a programmable thermostat.
ChooseRenewables also provides options to help consumers offset their conventional energy use through renewable energy credits (RECs). By purchasing RECs, consumers can displace other non-renewable sources from the electric grid.
Top Renewable-Friendly Governors' Mansions
In conjunction with the site's launch, ChooseRenewables also announced the 10 most renewable-friendly Governors' Mansions in the country based on analysis using the MyWatts Renewables Estimator. The New York Governors' Mansion, home of Governor Eliot Spitzer, tops the list with the most affordable on-site wind and solar power potential in the nation. The Governor's Mansion in Honolulu, HI, home of Governor Linda Lingle, also makes the top 10 with potential for both wind and solar solutions. Other homes that top the list include:
Most Wind Power-Friendly Governor's Mansions:
1. New York Governor's Mansion, Albany, NY
2. Hawaii Governor's Mansion, Honolulu, HI
3. Illinois Governor's Mansion, Springfield, IL
4. Massachusetts Governor's Mansion, Boston, MA
5. North Dakota Governor's Mansion, Bismarck, ND
6. Ohio Governor's Mansion, Columbus, OH
7. Iowa Governor's Mansion, Des Moines, IA
8. Rhode Island Governor's Mansion, Providence, RI
9. Oklahoma Governor's Mansion, Oklahoma City, OK
10. Kansas Governor's Mansion, Topeka, KS
Most Solar Power-Friendly Governor's Mansions::
1. New York Governor's Mansion, Albany, NY
2. Connecticut Governor's Mansion, Hartford, CT
3. Delaware Governor's Mansion, Dover, DE
4. Arizona Governor's Mansion, Phoenix, AZ
5. Florida Governor's Mansion, Tallahassee, FL
6. Colorado Governor's Mansion, Denver, CO
7. New Jersey Governor's Mansion, Princeton, NJ
8. California Governor's Mansion, Sacramento, CA
9. Hawaii Governor's Mansion, Honolulu, HI
10. Nevada Governor's Mansion, Carson City, NV
According to the MyWatts Renewables Estimator, if Governor Spitzer were to install a 3kW wind turbine at the Governor's Mansion in Albany, NY, he could receive a $12,000 state incentive, which would cover nearly two-thirds of the total cost. If he installed a 3kW solar panel, he could receive up to $17,000 in state and federal incentives covering well more than 60% of the total installed cost.
ChooseRenewables estimates that a 3kW wind turbine or solar panel could provide Governor Spitzer's residence with 2,500 to 3,500 kWh per year of renewable energy for the next twenty years.
Wind and solar incentives are distributed on both a state and federal level and are designed to encourage home and business-owners to install renewable energy solutions. They vary greatly by state, city or even neighborhood.
ChooseRenewables gathers data on a national and local level to determine the viability of on-site wind or solar solutions for any location.
Choose Renewables, LLC, is a leading provider of renewable energy content and commerce via the World Wide Web. The company is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and strives to promote a clean and independent energy future by enabling individuals, organizations, and communities to save energy, support clean energy, and generate their own renewable energy.