UniRac announced today the launch of an industry-leading program called The EcoRac Initiative, a 5-point plan that consists of current and future programs they are undertaking, aimed at reducing their carbon footprint and promoting environmental accountability in the solar mounting industry.
ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO, January 17, 2008 — UniRac, the leader in PV mounting architecture for the solar market, announced today the launch of an industry-leading program called The EcoRac Initiative, a 5-point plan that consists of current and future programs they are undertaking, aimed at reducing their carbon footprint and promoting environmental accountability in the solar mounting industry.
"We believe this is the right thing to do, for the environment, for the industry and for the company as a whole," says Douglas May, UniRac CEO. "This program will provide great benefits to our employees, and to our customers. It is our intent to contribute to a sustainable environment, to promote good will in the solar industry, and to attract and retain top talent in our organization by leading the way with our environmental initiatives. As a leader in the renewable industry, we feel strongly that we need to be good shepherds and champion the cause for a cleaner, greener future."
The 5 point EcoRac Initiative will consist of the following:
- For qualifying partners, UniRac will offer a twice yearly pick-up program of their scrap aluminum, from which the proceeds will be donated to the Make it Right Foundation, www.makeitrightnola.org, the organization committed to building 150 affordable, sustainable homes in New Orleans, near the site of the devastating levee break of August, 2005.
- For selected purchases of UniRac mounting systems over a pre-determined amount, UniRac will donate a percentage of the purchase price to the "Make it Right" Foundation, www.makeitrightnola.org.
- Increase the use of recycled materials for manufacturing and product packaging. Today, 40% of aluminum, 80% of steel and 100% of cardboard and wood being used by UniRac is recycled material. The goal over the next 3 years is to increase these numbers and find new, sustainable materials from which to engineer mounting solutions.
- UniRac will purchase carbon credits to offset 100% of employee air travel starting in 2008.
- A new employee subsidy program that will incent and reimburse employees who carpool, take public transport, bike to work or drive alternative fuel vehicles. In addition, UniRac will offer employees a fitness subsidy to join a health club or participate in some form of physical fitness as a way to promote health and wellness and work-life balance.
"We commend UniRac and the leadership role they are taking in launching this important environmental program," says Scott Carlson, owner of Carlson Solar. "As businesses who are involved in the solar industry, it is gratifying to see partners like UniRac being good stewards for environmental initiatives and helping us all to reduce our carbon footprint".
UniRac is excited to be working on this initiative with carbonfund.org www.carbonfund.org, an industry leader dedicated to reducing the carbon footprint of individuals and companies, with cost-effective carbon offsets that support renewable energy, energy efficiency and reforestation projects globally, which reduce carbon dioxide emissions and the threat of climate change.
"We are delighted to offset 100% of UniRac's air travel," said Steve Offutt, Chief Operating Officer of Carbonfund.org. "As an important player in the renewable energy industry, they are making environmental contributions in several ways, and we thank them for joining us in the fight against global warming."
Learn more about the EcoRac Initiative at http://www.unirac.com/ecorac.html.
Based in Albuquerque, New Mexico, UniRac (www.unirac.com) was founded in 1998 and quickly became the industry leader with a reputation for superior products, responsive support and outstanding services. Speed and high-quality installation options are the trademark of all our PV racking product lines. UniRac delivers innovation, on time, and with award-winning results.
For media related inquiries, please contact:
Lori Aizer Bryenton