A new high response power station will provide rapid back up for intermittent renewable generation on Western Australia's south west electricity network says Prof. Ray Wills, Chief Executive of the WA Sustainable Energy Association Inc. (WA SEA), Australia's largest energy chamber.
A new high response power station will provide rapid back up for intermittent renewable generation on WA's south west electricity network says Prof. Ray Wills, Chief Executive of the Western Australian Sustainable Energy Association Inc. (WA SEA).
The $130 million, 120 MW super fast gas turbine power station in Kwinana is built by private energy retailer Perth Energy. This fast response plant will complement renewable energy production, responding to quickly fill gaps in generation of electricity from intermittent sources such as wind farms.
The power station was officially opened today by Energy Minister Peter Collier. The Minister said the open-cycle gas turbine power plant would help the grid accommodate more renewable energy generation, assisting the State to achieve its share of the national target of 20 per cent by 2020.
Perth Energy Managing Director Ky Cao said "Kwinana Swift will improve reliability of electricity supply in south west WA, and also help the grid take up more renewable energy generation, providing a cleaner future."
‘The Kwinana Swift is a bit like fast speed broadband for renewables, delivering electricity to the grid instantly to back up any gaps in delivery,' says Prof Wills.
Perth Energy supplies renewable energy to a number of commercial and industrial customers covering hundreds of sites.
Also today, the largest solar tracking system in Australia was officially opened by Mines and Petroleum Minister Moore, representing Energy Minister Peter Collier.
Horizon Power's Pippunyah Solar Diesel Power Station uses a 505-kilowatt solar power installation from SunPower Corporation (Nasdaq: SPWRA, SPWRB), a manufacturer of high-efficiency solar cells, solar panels, and solar systems, and employs flywheel technology from PowerCorp Pty Ltd. The flywheel is used to smooth the energy from the solar panels and stabilise power quality between the diesel power station and the solar farm as well as to maximise the utilisation of the solar energy.
Perth Energy, Horizon Power, SunPower and PowerCorp are all members of WA SEA, Australia's largest energy chamber.
‘We must fundamentally change the way we think about energy and how we do business and we must act; both of these commercial projects are the result of 21st Century thinking about energy, and both deliver action' says Prof Wills.
WA Sustainable Energy Association Inc. (WA SEA) Media Release - 20 August 2010
1. Energy Minister Peter Collier media release on Perth Energy's Kwinana Swift Power Station - http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx?ItemId=133892&
2. Energy Minister Norman Moore media release on Horizon Power's Pippunyah Solar Diesel Power Station http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx?ItemId=133893&
3. WA SEA media release Largest Solar Power Tracking System in Australia completed in Western Australia. http://www.wasea.com.au/files/100806_mr_sunpowered.doc
4. The Western Australian Sustainable Energy Association Inc. (WA SEA) is a chamber of enterprises has a growing membership of over 360 industry members from a diversity of businesses. WA SEA is the largest energy industry body in Australia. www.wasea.com.au.
5. WA SEA bringing you the Energising SE Asia Conference 23-26 March 2011, Perth.