SolarBOS makes it easy for customers to use latest inverter technology with release of SI Product Line designed for String Inverter applications, enabling compliance with NEC 2011/2014 Arc Fault Circuit Interruption and NEC 2014 Rapid Shutdown requirements.
September 4, 2014 (Livermore, CA) – SolarBOS announces the release of a complete line of electrical Balance of System solutions for String Inverters, facilitating design and installation and assisting with Arc Fault Circuit Interruption (2014 NEC 690.11) and Rapid Shutdown (2014 NEC 690.12). NEC requirements for Arc Fault Circuit Interruption and Rapid Shutdown, as well as the growing number and range of more powerful and compact String Inverters offered by the top names in the inverter market, are changing the electrical balance-of-system needs for solar installers. SolarBOS' new SI Product Line addresses the needs in the design architecture for residential and commercial solar projects.
Specifically, the 2014 NEC 690.11 requires Arc Fault Detection and Circuit Interruption for any PV system with a maximum system voltage ≥80V DC. In addition, conductors must be de-energized to touch safe levels in less than 10 seconds within 10' of the array (within 5' for wire run inside a building) per NEC 2014 690.12. Many, if not most, of the string inverters on the market can help a project meet these requirements when the inverter can be installed within 10' of the array. However, it is not always feasible, or possible, to locate the string inverters within 10' of the array. That is where the SI Product Line can help a project meet the requirements because they can be easily and economically be installed within the prescribed distance(s).
In addition, SolarBOS offers complementary Remote Power Supply products with built in Emergency and Maintenance switches that can be located near the inverter, and even integrated into the inverter control circuits (when available).
The SolarBOS SI Product Line makes it easy for customers to meet the new requirements and build solar projects that benefit from the latest inverter technology.
Features and Benefits:
· Arc Fault Circuit Interruption - compatible with all major inverter brands that have built in Arc Fault Detection
· Arc Fault Detection and Circuit Interruption - compatible with most inverter brands that don't have built in Arc Fault Detection
· Rapid Shutdown with Remote Switching – compatible will all major inverter brands and projects
· Combining and Pass-Through (non-combining) – enabling the transition from multiple PV String wires to single, larger runs, or to less expensive THHN style wires in conduit.
· Single and Multiple MPPT inputs for both Grounded and Floating Topologies – designed for every major manufacturer of String Inverters
· NEMA 3R, 4, and 4X Enclosures – supporting installations in any environment.
· Compact Sizes – products appropriately sized for the smaller scale residential and commercial installations where roof space is tight.
"The solar industry will continue to evolve – changes in technology, codes and standards will continue to improve the safety, effectiveness, and reach for Solar PV installations on buildings of all types. SolarBOS has been shipping products from the SI Product Line for several years – this is simply the first time we've put them together in a Product Line targeted at a specific sector of the industry," says Daniel Sherwood, Director of Product Management for SolarBOS. "We believe the BOS sector of the industry has just as much a responsibility to enable safe installations and to drive down the overall cost for solar as do the module, racking, and inverter companies and we are pleased to offer these products that help accomplish these goals."