MXenergy offers easy, economical tips to be more energy efficient
"I think some people are resistant to improving their home's energy efficiency because they have the perception it will be an expensive, time-consuming process," says Marjorie Kass, MXenergy Managing Director. "The truth is, it doesn't have to be. Just by making a few simple changes people can experience a reduction in their energy bills."
MXenergy Summer Energy Efficiency Tips
• Change Your Filters - Keeping your air conditioner filters clean will increase your unit's efficiency and decrease the strain on the system. MXenergy recommends during the hottest months changing your filters at least monthly if not more frequently
• Have Your Unit Properly Serviced - Before temperatures really start climbing, have your air conditioner properly serviced by a trained professional to ensure all parts are operating properly, you have an adequate amount of Freon and the unit is functioning at maximum efficiency
• Use Your Appliances Wisely - Only run your dishwasher, washer and dryer when full and use cold water when at all possible. Avoid running appliances during the heat of the day
• Keep the Fridge Full - A full fridge retains its core temperature longer when the door is opened so a fridge full of food doesn't have to work as hard to stay cool
• Turn on the Fans - Utilize ceiling fans, or attic fans if available, to keep air moving through the house and reducing the need for the air conditioner
• Drain It - Drain your hot water heater once a month to prevent buildup which in turn will help it operate more efficiently
• Don't Forget the Attic - Over time attic insulation can compress. Add 5-6 inches of insulation to improve efficiency. Also consider solar-powered attic venting. This change can lower your attic temperature 50-60 degrees which will dramatically reduce the strain on your air conditioner.
"All of these changes are relatively simple, quick and economical," says Kass. "With just a little investment you can reduce your energy bills and help the environment. The payoff is huge."
MXenergy is one of the fastest growing retail natural gas and electricity suppliers in North America, serving approximately 500,000 customers in 41 utility territories in the United States and Canada. For over 11 years, the company has provided millions of customers with a choice in how they purchase energy to run their homes and businesses. Founded in 1999 to provide natural gas and electricity to consumers in deregulated energy markets, MXenergy helps residential customers and small business owners control their energy bills by providing both fixed and variable rate plans. MXenergy is committed to best practices in environmental conservation, supporting local communities through various outreach programs and is a member of the Chicago Climate Exchange. For more information MXenergy please visit www.mxenergy.com.