Leading speaker line-up in conference and workshops on energy sustainability
Sustainable Energy & Technology Asia (SETA) has been set up by the Ministry of Energy for Thailand as a unique platform developed specifically for international, governmental and industry discussions and collaboration on developing sustainable energy policies for the ASEAN region's future economic development.
Endorsed by the Ministry of Science & Technology and Ministry of Transport for Thailand, and supported by numerous other organisations , SETA will look at the links between the energy sector and high-energy usage industry sectors, including transport, manufacturing, engineering, retail, etc to develop cross-industry collaboration for reducing overall energy consumption.
Thailand has the second highest primary energy demand in the ASEAN region and energy consumption is set to jump by 75% over the coming two decades as the economy expands and a more affluent society takes to the roads in increasing numbers.
The Alternative Energy Development Plan states 25% of energy consumption needs to come from alternative energy sources by 2021, placing increased pressure of the development of credible policies and incentives to ensure targets are met.
These challenges are not unique to Thailand, which has seen energy demand in Southeast Asia expand two-and-a- half-times since 1990. Malaysia has seen an increase in energy consumption of more than 20% in recent years, Cambodia and Myanmar over 10% and Indonesia and Vietnam nearly 10%.
The ever increasing demand and thirst for cheap energy provides unique challenges for the industry and it is essential cross-industry collaboration, coupled with harmonious region-wide government policies, bring about change in the attitude towards energy consumption, sustainable energy production and reduction in carbon emissions.
Leading line up of industry experts to speak
The SETA 2016 Conference will provide a key platform for government, industry and academia to share information and ideas to form policies and good practice guidance for industries to develop their own energy policies.
International speakers will deliver 3 days of discussions, and include key industry experts such as:
· H.E. Viraphonh Viravong, Vice Minister at the Ministry of Energy and Mines, Lao
· Dr. Rashid Al Leem, Chairman, Sharjah Electricity and Water Authority (SEWA), UAE
· Twarath Sutabutr, Director, Energy Policy and Planning Office (EPPO), Ministry of Energy, Thailand
· Csilla Kohalmi-Monfils, EVP Strategy, New Business and Communications ENGIE Asia-Pacific, Thailand
· Dr. Shuzo Nishioka, Secretary General, International Research Network for Low Carbon Societies (LCS-RNet) and Low Carbon Asia Research Network (LoCARNet) / Senior Research Advisor, IGES
· Dr. Yongping Zhai, Technical Advisor (Energy), Asian Development Bank
· Ye Qi, Senior Fellow at Brookings Institution and Director of Brookings Tsinghua Center for Public Policy
· Yet-Ming Chiang, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Professor and A123 Systems, Inc., Co-Founder
· Dr Yanfei Li, Energy Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
· Dr. Shobhakar Dhakal, Asian Institute of Technology
· Masakazu Toyoda, Chairman and CEO, The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan (IEEJ)
· Prof Dr HO Chin Siong, Professor of Faculty Built Environment, and Director of International Relation, International Office at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
· Chong Chi Nai, Director of Energy Division, Southeast Asia, Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Wuttaya Hnunphagdee, Director at GAT International and Show Manager of SETA, said, "We are delighted with the high quality and range of international experts that will be joining us to share their experiences and knowledge at SETA 2016."
"With an extensive range of conference sessions, different topics of discussions and workshops on offer, there is a great range of subject matter for the international energy professional to come and discover the latest challenges, solutions and technologies for a sustainable energy future."
The SETA 2016 Conference and Exhibition will be a unique and ideal platform for participants to share views and experiences as well as to discuss the practical approach to sustainable uses of energy in the Region.
For further details visit www.seta.asia.