Turbines up at new Cambridgeshire wind farm

Boardinghouse Wind Farm development is set in motion as turbines are raised at site in Cambridgeshire.

Turbines have been hoisted and are ready to start generating renewable electricity at the new Boardinghouse Wind Farm development near March in Cambridgeshire.


Five turbines – with electricity generation capacity of 10.25 MW of electricity – were raised in February on farmland that Triodos Renewables believes to benefit from a good wind resource, helping to ensure the project delivers an attractive return on investment.

Renewable energy company, Triodos Renewables plc, is the majority shareholder (55%) of the new development, with EcoGen and the landowner sharing the remaining 45%.

"The project is on schedule and construction is well on target for the anticipated operational launch of September 2015," explains Monika Paplaczyck, Senior Investment Manager at Triodos Renewables. "We are pleased that our shareholders investment is complementing that of the landlords and the developer, EcoGen, to realise this renewable energy project, providing another example of how Triodos Renewables can plug the funding gap to allow new generation to be achieved". The recent completion of the turbines at Flood's Ferry Road for Greenvale – who consider they are the UK's largest seed potato supplier – means that by the end of next year we will have invested in a combined energy generation capacity of 22 MW in this part of Cambridgeshire, which is fantastic for the local economy."

Triodos Renewables also co-funded the nearby wind farm in Eye, Suffolk - completed in 2013 - and has invested in the neighbouring Ransonmoor Wind Farm.

The renewable energy specialists selected local firm RG Carter to complete all civil engineering works for Boardinghouse Wind Farm, with EcoGen and PMSS project managing the development. Until now work has been focused on laying the groundworks and making sure the turbines are sited sensitively – positioned to take advantage of the wind without disturbing the natural wildlife and its habitat. Following the successful completion of that work, efforts were turned to erecting the turbines.

Boardinghouse Wind Farm joins Triodos Renewables' portfolio of twelve operational renewable energy sites across the UK, which combined are capable of generating more than 150 million kWh of green energy annually – which last year generated enough renewable electricity to meet the demands of more than 36,000 homes. Triodos Renewables' business model means that everyone from businesses to individuals can invest in their projects and the potential to receive a financial return, while contributing to the UK's renewable energy output.

Featured Product

SolarEdge Technologies - Solar Inverters, Power Optimizers and PV Monitoring

SolarEdge Technologies - Solar Inverters, Power Optimizers and PV Monitoring

The SolarEdge PV inverter combines sophisticated digital control technology with efficient power conversion architecture to achieve superior solar power harvesting and best-in-class reliability. The fixed-voltage technology ensures the solar inverter is always working at its optimal input voltage over a wider range of string lengths and regardless of environmental conditions. A proprietary data monitoring receiver has been integrated into the inverter and aggregates the power optimizer performance data from each PV module. This data can be transmitted to the web and accessed via the SolarEdge Monitoring Portal for performance analysis, fault detection and troubleshooting of PV systems.